"Next Generation Science Standards(2013)" - For States, By States -
NGSS Lead States
Next Generation Science Standards identifies the science all K-12 students should know. These new standards are based on the National Research Council's A Framework for K-12 Science Education. The National Research Council, the National Science Teachers Association, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and Achieve have partnered to create standards through a collaborative state-led process. The standards are rich in content and practice and arranged in a coherent manner across disciplines and grades to provide all students an internationally benchmarked science education.
VOLUME 1: THE STANDARDS i-xxviii
Next Generation Science Standards: Arranged by Disciplinary Core Ideas 1-130
Connections to Standards: Arranged by Disciplinary Core Ideas (DCIs) 131-162
Next Generation Science Standards: Arranged by Topics 163-292
Connections to Standards: Arranged by Topics 293-324
VOLUME 2: APPENDIXES 325-334
Appendix A: Conceptual Shifts in the Next Generation Science Standards 335-338
Appendix B: Responses to the Public Drafts 339-344
Appendix C: College and Career Readiness 345-358
Appendix D: "All Standards, All Students": Making the Next Generation Science Standards Accessible to All Students 359-373
Appendix E: Disciplinary Core Idea Progressions in the Next Generation Science Standards 374-381
Appendix F: Science and Engineering Practices in the Next Generation Science Standards 382-412
Appendix G: Crosscutting Concepts in the Next Generation Science Standards 413-429
Appendix H: Understanding the Scientific Enterprise: The Nature of Science in the Next Generation Science Standards 430-436
Appendix I: Engineering Design in the Next Generation Science Standards 437-441
Appendix J: Science, Technology, and the Environment 442-446
Appendix K: Model Course Mapping in Middle and High School for the Next Generation Science Standards 447-470
Appendix L: Connections to the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics 471-491
Appendix M: Connections to the Common Core State Standards for Literacy in Science and Technical Subjects 492-504
- NRC Review of Next Generation Science Standards
This statement from the National Research Council affirms that the Next Generation Science Standards "are consistent with the content and structure" of A Framework for K-12 Science Education.
- Other Related Information : Marking the culmination of a three-year, multiphase process, on April 10th, 2013, a 26-state consortium released the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), a detailed description of the key scientific ideas and practices that all students should learn by the time they graduate from high school.
- Next Generation Science Standards: For States, by States, published by the National Academies Press, is the authoritative print version of those standards released online by Achieve, Inc.
- The standards are based largely on the 2011 National Research Council report, A Framework for K-12 Science Education: Practices, Crosscutting Concepts, and Core Ideas.
- Video: Science Unscrambled: The Next Generation Science Standards
In this video, Dr. Heidi Schweingruber, deputy director of the NRC's Board on Science Education (BOSE) and co-director of the study that produced A Framework for K-12 Science Education, explains how the Next Generation Science Standards were developed, why the standards matter, and what's new in the print edition published by the National Academies Press.
- Video: NSTA Past Executive Director Discusses NGSS
This video shows NSTA's past executive director discussing the challenges and importance of NGSS.
- Video: Panel Discussion on How to Implement NGSS
The AAAS panel discussion on NGSS focuses on the changes the new standards for K-12 students would bring and how states, schools, and teachers would implement them.